On Oct. 21, 2016, an updated version of the QuickBooks® Online Training & Certification will be available within your ProAdvisor® Center. The current version of QuickBooks Online Certification will no longer be available after Friday, Oct. 21, 2016, at 9 am PT. Unlike the QuickBooks Desktop certification, you need to take and pass the QuickBooks Online Certification exam every 365 days to maintain your certification status.
QuickBooks Online Certification is a great way to do the following:
- Enhance your product knowledge
- Serve your clients better
- Establish your individual professional credentials
- Grow your QuickBooks Online practice
Because QuickBooks Online is a cloud accounting solution, we have the ability to make frequent changes and updates to improve the customer experience and enhance product functionality. In order for you to stay up to date on this rapidly evolving product, we are requiring you – ProAdvisors who are Certified or Non-Certified on QuickBooks Online – to take an updated certification exam once every 365 days to help you validate your knowledge and expertise on the newest features and functionality in the product.
With this objective in mind, we are preparing to launch the updated version of the QuickBooks Online Training & Certification to replace the existing QuickBooks Online Training & Certification. What does this mean to you? This means that you will need to be aware of this key date: Oct. 21, 2016. The existing version of the QuickBooks Online Certification exam will no longer be available after this date.
If you have already started the existing QuickBooks Online Certification exam and are in progress, you have the following two options:
- (Recommended) Successfully complete the QuickBooks Online Certification exam before 9 am PT on Oct. 21, 2016.
- Start the updated QuickBooks Online Certification and successfully pass the exam when it becomes available after 9 am PT on Oct. 21, 2016.
If you have not already started the QuickBooks Online certification exam, you have the following two options:
- (Recommended) If you can successfully complete the exam before 9 am PT, on Oct. 21, 2016, start the exam now, and pass the exam before the above mentioned date and time.
- Take the updated QuickBooks Online Certification Exam when it becomes available after 9 am PT on Oct. 21, 2016.
Your ProAdvisor QuickBooks Online Certification will be valid for 365 days from the date that you pass the exam, regardless of whether you complete the new version or the old one.
4 Ways to Get Trained, Certified and Earn CPE
- QuickBooks Connect Conference: Gather with peers, influential leaders and potential clients to learn, grow and advance your firm, preparing it for the future. Sessions include live, in-person training to prepare you for the new QuickBooks Online Certification exam. The conference is being held Oct. 24-26, 2016, San Jose, California. Learn More.
- Self-Paced Training: Optional online, self-paced modules with corresponding supplemental guides. These training modules can be easily started and stopped at your learning pace. Log into QuickBooks Online Accountant or your QuickBooks ProAdvisor portal and see the Certification Tab.
- Live In-person Training Across the Country: Join us for a full day of free, in-depth training designed to help prepare you for the QuickBooks Online Certification exam. Learn More.
- Live Weekly Webinars: Similar to live training without leaving your office; attend a 4-hour webinar or break it down into 5, 1-hour parts. You choose which works best for you. Find Out More.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: I just completed the QuickBooks Online Certification in July 2016. You are now launching a newer version of the certification. Does that mean that my certification will be valid for only 3-4 months?
A: If you completed QuickBooks Online Certification in July 2016, your certification status will not expire until July 2017 (365 days from the day you completed the last QuickBooks Online Certification). While you are not required to take the new QuickBooks Online Certification to maintain your Certification Status, it is highly recommended that you recertify without waiting until July 2017 for your certification to expire. The new QuickBooks Online training and certification provides in-depth training on the “New QuickBooks Online,” which is completely rebuilt for the cloud and all of your devices.
Q: If I certified earlier this year (Say, Feb. 15, 2016), what happens to my profile on Find-a-ProAdvisor when you launch the new certification?
A: If you completed QuickBooks Online Certification on February 15, 2016, your certification status will not expire until February 14, 2017 (365 days from the day you completed the last QuickBooks Online Certification). As long as your certification status is valid, your Find-a-ProAdvisor profile will display your QuickBooks Online Certification badge, and you will receive credit (ranking points) on the Find-a-ProAdvisor website for the certification.
Q: Can I collect multiple badges for the QuickBooks Online Certification? (One for each year, as I would collect QuickBooks desktop annual certifications)
A: No. Given that QuickBooks Online is a cloud accounting solution (with constant online updates, and no concept of annual launches/versions), we will not display multiple versions of the QuickBooks Online Certification badge. At any point in time, you are either “Certified” on QuickBooks Online (i.e. you are within 365 days from the date of certification completion), or you are “Not Certified.”
Q: How does the new QuickBooks Online Certification impact my ranking on Find-a-ProAdvisor?
A: The new QuickBooks Online Certification has the same impact on your ranking on the Find-a-ProAdvisor directory as the existing QuickBooks Online Certification exam. You will receive similar credit, and the same badge for any QuickBooks Online Certification exams.
Q: If I complete both the old and new versions of the QuickBooks Online Certification exams, do I receive double credit on Find-a-ProAdvisor? (i.e. Will I rank higher than someone who has only done one of the exams?)
A: No. You will only receive one credit for the QuickBooks Online Certification on Find-a-ProAdvisor.
Q: I started the QuickBooks Online Certification exam back in July 2016, but could not get around to completing it. What are my options?
A: If you have started the existing QuickBooks Online Certification exam, our recommendation is for you to complete the remainder of the exam as soon as possible. When the new version of the certification launches, while you are not required to take it immediately, we highly recommend that you complete the New QuickBooks Online certification as well, in the next few months.
Q: Why should I take the existing version of the QuickBooks Online Certification exam now, knowing that a new version is launching in October 2016?
A: If you complete the existing QuickBooks Online certification exam, you become a Certified QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor right away, and can keep it for 365 days. Certifying now has one really important benefit: By completing the existing QuickBooks Online certification now, you can give yourself some more time before completing the new QuickBooks Online Certification, and you can start marketing yourself as a Certified QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor to small businesses right away.
Should you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.