In a recent announcement by the Minister of National Revenue, 84% of Canadians are now filing online. CRA has several new and improved online services to help Canadians file their returns:
Auto-fill my return allows individuals and authorized representatives to automatically fill in parts of a current-year income tax and benefit return. For 2015 taxation year, more than 5.5 million returns were filled out using this service.
CRA has three online service portals that are used by nearly 1.5 million Canadians:
- My Account allows individuals to track refund, view/change returns, check benefit and credit payments, view RRSP limit, set up direct deposit, receive online mail, and more.
- My Business Account allows business owners and their employees/representatives to access GST/HST, payroll, corporation income taxes, excise taxes, excise duties and other levies accounts online.
- Represent a Client provides representatives the access to both individual and business tax information.
Online mail has more than 4 million Canadians registered, and allows individuals to receive some CRA correspondence directly in “My Account.” The CRA correspondence available through online mail includes the following:
- Notices of assessment (NOA)
- Notices of reassessment (NORA)
- Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) letters
- Benefit notices
- T1 adjustment notices
- Instalment reminder
For further information, see CRA’s new release here.